I was feeling a bit blasé about this Shrew business, but Shakespeare is like Christmas every day! I have read La Garber, Jonathan Bate (with whom I am now obsessed) and Nuttall. I skipped Bloom for now because I read him last Spring and I did not find anything of interest then.
It is amazing how these companion books enhance the reading experience. I am so grateful that I have them and hope to keep them by my side forever. Bate has such a beautiful mind, I love his finds. For example, he made me re-read the induction to find Wills in Christopher Sly's description of himself, with all the references to Warwickshire and the life path Shakespeare had trodden. (Pages 37-38)
One Nuttall reference that excited me was that Petruchio uses falconry training methods to "tame" Katharina, an example of this is the sleep deprivation, which, however, requires that the tamer also does not sleep until his will prevails.
No comments:
Post a Comment