Iago
Othello is Iago's Play. I am quoting Bloom here and will be paraphrasing him today. There is nothing dishonest in my appropriation of Bloom's ideas. I am (hopefully) a glass half full. I am trying to apprehend in what I believe it to be the tradition of Western Civilization, there, in capital letters. Ideas reverberating and boiling and echoing. Ideas being invented and borrowed and stolen. If not, what is the purpose of libraries and universities? Ok, that taken care of, let's go back to Iago.
VILLAIN
Iago is the prototype for all of literature's villains. As a matter of Bloom fact, Milton based his Satan on Iago. He brought this up as he was trying to explain the motivation for Iago's villainy: Bloom borrows Milton's "injured merit." Iago and Satan are both passed up for whom they perceive to be less worthy candidates. And they are irreparably hurt.
Actually, Iago's job fascinates me. He is the ancient, the flag bearer, sworn to die before he give up the flag. So he is the bravest of the bunch. Per Bloom, Othello admires this bravery, but knows that Iago would not make a good second in command because he is a scorch-the-earth-warrior, no political skills, not good for peace. So he chooses Cassio, who is an intellectual. That is apparently his only credential. I have not read far enough, but hopefully Cassio's character will justify Othello's decision. We'll see.
INTELLIGENCE
Bloom, in what made me gasp, compared Iago's intelligence with Hamlet's. I have been listening to Bloom harp about Hamlet not only being the brightest intelligence in literature but more self-aware than any actual human being who ever lived and will ever live. So being put on the same sentence with Hamlet is high praise for our little ancient. I keep picturing him with Kenneth Brannagh's face, which is driving me nuts.
COLD
Iago has no feelings. He is incapable of feeling so he pretends he feels things. He is all head, no heart. I'll check on this, so far I have not read enough to verify such bold statement.
No comments:
Post a Comment