Monday, January 21, 2013

Marjorie Garber is a Bright Light

I read Garber's chapter on Othello. I was enthralled, charmed, challenged and just all-around flabbergasted!

What Professor Garber did with this play is extraodinary. She went deeper than both Bloom and Nuttall. Color me happy!

Yesterday I watched a documentary about an elementary school teacher in a very poor part of Los Angeles, who miraculously opens his 10 year old pupils's minds using Shakespeare (among other authors and methods). Rafe Esquith is famous for doing this and in the documentary, both Ian McKellen and Michael York stop by the classroom to watch Hamlet rehearsals and chat with the mini bardologists. York said that back in Shakespeare's time, people said "Let's go hear a play" rather than see or watch as we would now say. Words matter and we have to focus on language rather than visuals or we will lose the ability to understand them!

No comments:

Post a Comment