Friday, January 4, 2013

Othello, Day 4

January 4

False alarm regarding Rhodes. The darn turks were just doing a pit stop to get more boats for their side on their way to Cyprus.

Finished Act 1. Loved the sexual chemistry between Othello and Desdemona! Older black guy, young italian woman. Sparks, sparks, sparks! He's taking her to war, for goodness sake, because they can't stand being apart. Their passion reminded me of Antony and Cleopatra's, except Desdemona seems reasonable, unlike that crazy Egyptian. Othello has flawed-larger-than-life-tragic-hero written all over him.

What I was most moved about was Brabantio. He was deeply hurt by Desdemona absconding in the middle of the night to marry dad's friend, a man he trusted (he's also furious at him). Brabantio's combination of wrath and pain reminded me of family passions I have been witness to and part of.

Iago is still a smarty-pants in my estimation. Not feeling him yet. I will listen to my Bloom CD in the car tomorrow on my way to work and he will likely turn my opinion around on this issue in no time. Throw in some Bloom hyperbole and Iago will become literature's master schemer. I'll report back on this point...

I am one day behind on my reading. Will try, try, try, to read a bit more tonight in order to catch up. I turned and tossed all night, worried about my motions hearing today. Had to be in court by 7:30, so did not even get 5 hours of sleep. Motions were continued and I ended up waiting around in court. Should have sneaked the book in, but had to carry so many files, I would have had to carry it in my mouth!



No comments:

Post a Comment